February 17, 2011

all about the wedding invitations

5848

I'm not really into scalloped edges, frills and vellum paper, so when it came to designing my own wedding invitations, I decided to start with something I really love. The main inspiration for my invites is a Henri Cartier-Bresson's Scrapbook, a photobook that both Ben and I both enjoy. A contact sheet, however, is not much of a wedding invitation.

5873


The internet is so handy when it comes to looking for wedding inspiration! After a quick peek at a couple of my favorite wedding sites (oh so beautiful paper is a great place to gawk at invite gorgeousness!), I realized that old postcards and vintage stamps would be perfect additions to the invitations. I ordered the stamps on eBay for close to it's face value (th key is to buy them in sheets) and bought the New York-themed postcards from the Brooklyn Flea. The best part about using vintage postcards as the rsvp response cards is that I get to keep them after our guests mail them back! I’ll soon have a Walker Evans-style collection!


To save money, I also wanted to go diy on addressing the envelopes. I'm very bad at calligraphy, so it's a good thing that Ben has an old typewriter. We cleaned it and bought a new ribbon from a local stationary store. Definitely call first to see if the stores carry typewriter ribbon. The first few typewriter repair and supply shops I dialed are all closed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Pinterest

Followers

Blog Archive